Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.
You’re reading Entrepreneur Middle East, an international franchise of Entrepreneur Media.
In today’s fast-paced world, attention is a scarce resource. However, as we navigate the innovations of 2023, it is evident that it’s not merely about the duration of content consumption, but more about the timing of it.
With the emergence of artificial intelligence (AI) tools like ChatGPT, creativity and content creation have become more accessible and innovative. Mixed reality is revolutionizing the digital landscape, and a diversified content mix has become imperative. Moreover, traditional influencer marketing methods are losing relevance.
So, when you are operating a business in such a landscape, how do you stand out? Well, for starters, consider these five trends that are shaping the future of digital- these will have a profound impact on how brands engage with their audiences in the digital space:
1. MAKE WAY FOR VIRTUAL MEETS REALITY Mixed reality blurs the lines between the physical and digital worlds, creating a new environment where physical and digital objects coexist and interact in real-time. With the dawn of Web3, we are moving into a new innovative world of existence on the internet. Part of this uprising includes understanding the virtual world and presence. 2023 is a linchpin year where the adoption of new technologies accelerates. In the meantime, social platforms will leverage mixed reality to give users a peek into the virtual world.
2. THE CONTENT MIX ERA IS HERE Vertical video remains king, but other forms of content aren’t obsolete. The hyper-focus on TikTok and Instagram Reels has made brands take a step back in the past year to utilize the content mix in their favor. Earlier this month, Instagram’s Adam Mosseri announced how the Instagram algorithm would start prioritizing photographs on the app again. While TikTok is a trendsetter, all platforms must play up to their strengths– and brands must focus on identifying the channels that have served them the most. By offering a diverse range, including text posts, images, videos and live content, brands can effectively engage followers, and cultivate an active following.
3. LOOK OUT FOR SEARCH VERSUS DISCOVERY Search is geared more towards exploration and less towards precision. Google’s data states that almost 40% of Gen Z’s use TikTok and Instagram for searches instead of Google. This trend also speaks to the younger generation’s interest in searching through conversation, discussion, curiosity, and above all, feeling. As a result, future searches will likely prioritize individual expression and dialogue. People are looking for conversations, which will make creators move away from essential information that does not elicit an emotional response.
4. KEEP AN EYE ON USER-GENERATED CONTENT (UGC) CREATORS Creator partnerships are evolving as we lead further down the TikTok rabbit hole. People value real stories and real experiences over the number of followers. Brands that prioritize authenticity over perfected believability are making UGC creators a priority. UGC creators lie comfortably between nano and micro creators, specifically focused on creating the most genuine experience for your brand. UGC creators are often discovered after they have spoken for the brand, making the partnership honest and valuable.
5. CHATGPT IS CHANGING THE GAME In 2023, there are over 13 million daily active users of ChatGPT. This AI-powered language model is disrupting a lot of roles and platforms. In the digital realm, it will fulfil an essential piece of the puzzle, allowing digital to explore new, quicker possibilities of content, strategy and research. The speed with which all this information can be accessed will disrupt how the industry works and comes up with ideas. AI will be crucial for brands to change how they do things, and step outside their comfort zone.
To sum up, the digital world is on the brink of significant transformation, and keeping up with the newest trends is critical for brands seeking to effectively engage and inspire their target audience. To stand out in this dynamic environment, brands must prioritize honing their storytelling, authenticity, and community-building strategies as the driving forces behind their digital initiatives. By doing so, brands can develop a distinctive voice, and build a loyal following in the digital space, leading to long-term success and growth.