Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.
Businesses on all fronts, irrespective of the industry, are headed for a steady climb to adapt to new times and stay afloat. While different businesses have utilized many methods and techniques, content marketing has rapidly become a more powerful tool to achieve this objective.
According to Demand Metric, 90% of all organizations utilize content in their marketing, bringing in three times as many leads as they would with traditional marketing, and it costs 60% less. With marketing being a core part of every business‘s operations, utilizing content marketing becomes a strategic move. It is mostly organic, less expensive and serves more purposes in the long run. Using the right tools and social media platforms will lead to the desired result when there is a chosen goal for your content marketing.
Maximizing content strategy
Content as a context is broader than most business owners think it is. It goes beyond just putting down content and how it is distributed. Content as a strategy includes planning, content development, creation, deployment and management of content to communicate and achieve desired business goals.
Maximizing content strategy as a marketing tool will enable your business to achieve three important components of brand success. They include:
- Brand focusing. When targeting your audience, every piece of content you create must be in service of your brand and its goals to solve your clients’ problems. Your content should be relevant to your business and your customers’ needs.
- The experience the user gets. Every product or service is directed towards solving a problem or two that your audience is having. It’s all about the experience you want your customers to have from using your product or service. That includes the tonality in your content to the experience they feel from using your app, product or service. When your content strategy is focused solely on your users’ experience, it will lead to improved engagement, conversion and, ultimately, increased revenue.
- How the content is distributed. Content distribution is a key part of success with your content strategy because your goals and approach determine how your content will be distributed. To choose the medium to distribute your content, you will need to know what format your content will take — videos, text content, carousels, images or audio. Some of the common distribution methods include social media, email marketing, blog articles, sponsored advertising or even search engine optimization (SEO).
Why entrepreneurs need a content strategist
While many business owners know how important it is, they already have a lot on their plate to manage their business. It’s only a matter of time before they break down when the burden of content strategy is added to the mix. However, they may not realize how important a content strategist can be to their business.
Content has become the center of gravity in every business operation, to the point that 73% of organizations have a content strategist in place to oversee their content strategy. Content strategists play a key role in content marketing as they are responsible for developing and managing the overall content strategy of the business.
A content strategist helps you plan, create and manage your content effectively and efficiently. They can help you figure out what kind of content you need to create, target it to your audience and ensure that it meets your business goals.
Content strategists can be a powerful asset for business owners, and below are three reasons why entrepreneurs need one:
- Content strategists help you save time and money. Creating content can be time-consuming and expensive, especially if you’re doing it yourself. A content strategist takes that burden away by using technology-driven management tools such as Trello, Slack, Buffer, or Notion to schedule and manage posts. They can also use other GPT-3 tools powered by AI like Grammarly, JasperAi, OtterAi and others that can be maximized to efficiently and effectively create content, making it possible to save time and money in the long run.
- A content strategist can help you reach your target audience. One of the most important aspects of content marketing is ensuring that your content reaches your target audience. A content strategist can help you identify and target your ideal customers to ensure that the right people see your content.
- A content strategist can help you achieve your business goals. Whether increasing brand awareness, generating leads or driving sales, your content should always be channeled towards your business goals. A content strategist helps you create content that aligns with your business goals, so you can see results that matter to your bottom line.
Having content ideas alone is never enough when you do not have a strategist to wield them into a potent marketing weapon. But when there is a content strategist in place, your brand’s content aligns with your overall marketing strategy and your target audience’s needs. The organic nature of content marketing makes it a handy marketing tool for businesses that do not have the revenue to go big with their marketing, thereby helping them cut costs.